Sunday, May 20, 2018

IELTS - Speaking Test review

After a week of no preparation whatsoever, I sat down to take a speaking test from IELTS Liz. Here's the review.

ums/aahs

On an average, I was doing this 4 to 5 times, It needs improvement. I am not particularly worried about this. If conscious, I can avoid these.

silence

Surprisingly, there were not much of silence. I guess ums/aahs and silences are a tradeoff when you are thinking about the content. So, the idea is to get both counts summed to zero.

Vocabulary

On an average, I was using 3 words that are rare and highly relevant to the context. Good job.

Complex sentences

There were at least 2 sentences that were complex in nature. I feel I overdid it sometimes. I should try to avoid going into Christopher Hitchens or Thomas Pain mode.

Tenses

I am doing alright in this. Not sure if I should intenstionally touch upon all tenses in every answer.

Intonation

I can improve in this. Given the number of ums/aahs, it is difficult to continue to the flow and show the intonation.

Mistakes

I was making at least 1 mistake per answer. Mostly pronunciation.

Repetition

I can feel the want of words in few answers. I repeated "lots of" many times and other words too. Certainly, it doesn't show my range. I need improvement in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ethical Investing

If one doesn't agree with the line of business, should one invest in it? There can be many arguments for and against ethical investing....