Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Exam Preparation

Competitive exams aren't new for me. In the past, I have appeared for CAT and GMAT, in that order. I wouldn't include IELTS in the list despite appearing for it nearly a decade back. Thanks to my GMAT preparation, it took only cursory glance of IELTS exam format and I could get good results.
I was a massive failure in CAT and it taught me invaluable life lessons. Focus, single-mindness, clarity in thought and hard work are more important than raw talent.
GMAT was a different story. I got the basics of exam preparation right and was successful (730 is success in my book, others might differ). Having gotten reminiscential, these are what I recollect about my way of preparation. It was relevant then and must be now.
  • Understand the exam format.
  • Collect the study material.
  • Setup a plan and get a timeframe to go along with it.
  • Stick to plan no matter what.

Important philosophy - Given the infinite resources in the internet, it is tempting to include more and more study materials and extend your preparation time. Please don't do that. One's preparation should be like plank exercise. It is amazing exercise to improve your core strength. Once you start doing 1 minute plank comfortably, there is no extra gain you get by doing the plank for additional minutes. Beyond a point, more is not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ethical Investing

If one doesn't agree with the line of business, should one invest in it? There can be many arguments for and against ethical investing....